What is involved in Application Services
Find out what the related areas are that Application Services connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Application Services thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Application Services journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Application Services leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Application Services related domains to cover and 218 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Application Services, Application Services Library, Application Maintenance, Application Management, Application Portfolio Management, Application Strategy, Application Support, Application software, Best practices, Business Information Services Library, Business process, Capability Maturity Model, Change Management, Change impact analysis, Configuration Management, Connecting Process, Continuity Management, Contract Management, Financial Management, Functional Management, IT Operation Management, IT Service Management, Information Management, Information Technology, Information Technology Infrastructure Library, Information system, Management Process, Mathematical programming, Planning and Control, Public domain, Quality Management, Service Provider, Software Control and Distribution, Software testing, Supplier Management, Use Support:
Application Services Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on Application Services governance and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Application Services.
– When Release Mgmt for new application services is or will be integrated with your ITSM capabilities. How is it integrated?
– How is release management for new application services integrated with your itsm capabilities?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Application Services ?
– What business benefits will Application Services goals deliver if achieved?
– Have all basic functions of Application Services been defined?
Application Services Library Critical Criteria:
Test Application Services Library goals and overcome Application Services Library skills and management ineffectiveness.
– Will Application Services deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Application Services Management?
Application Maintenance Critical Criteria:
Think about Application Maintenance outcomes and learn.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Application Services information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Application Services. How do we gain traction?
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Application Services processes?
Application Management Critical Criteria:
Depict Application Management goals and perfect Application Management conflict management.
– Are assumptions made in Application Services stated explicitly?
– How do we go about Comparing Application Services approaches/solutions?
Application Portfolio Management Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Application Portfolio Management risks and interpret which customers can’t participate in Application Portfolio Management because they lack skills.
– Consider your own Application Services project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– Are there Application Services Models?
Application Strategy Critical Criteria:
Deliberate over Application Strategy adoptions and report on the economics of relationships managing Application Strategy and constraints.
– Does Application Services analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Application Services activities?
– Why are Application Services skills important?
Application Support Critical Criteria:
Guard Application Support projects and describe the risks of Application Support sustainability.
– Which customers cant participate in our Application Services domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Does the application support different cloud deployments and multiple providers?
– What are specific Application Services Rules to follow?
– How do we Lead with Application Services in Mind?
Application software Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Application software issues and assess what counts with Application software that we are not counting.
– Does Application Services create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Application Services process?
– How do you manage the new access devices using their own new application software?
– Is the process effectively supported by the legacy application software?
Best practices Critical Criteria:
Deduce Best practices strategies and shift your focus.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Application Services process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Application Services process available?
– What are our best practices for minimizing Application Services project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Application Services project lifecycle?
– What ITIL best practices, security and data protection standards and guidelines are in use by the cloud service provider?
– What are the best practices for software quality assurance when using agile development methodologies?
– Are we proactively using the most effective means, the best practices and maximizing our opportunities?
– Does your organization have a company-wide policy regarding best practices for cyber?
– What are some best practices for gathering business intelligence about a competitor?
– What best practices in knowledge management for Service management do we use?
– What are the best practices for implementing an internal site search?
– How does big data impact Data Quality and governance best practices?
– Are there any best practices or standards for the use of Big Data solutions?
– What are some best practices for managing business intelligence?
– What best practices are relevant to your itsm initiative?
– Do we adhere to best practices interface design?
– What best practices are relevant to your ITSM initiative?
– How can the value of Application Services be defined?
– Which rules constitute best practices?
Business Information Services Library Critical Criteria:
Unify Business Information Services Library tasks and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Business Information Services Library projects.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Application Services processes?
– Are accountability and ownership for Application Services clearly defined?
– What are the usability implications of Application Services actions?
Business process Critical Criteria:
Participate in Business process quality and find the ideas you already have.
– Do we identify maximum allowable downtime for critical business functions, acceptable levels of data loss and backlogged transactions, RTOs, RPOs, recovery of the critical path (i.e., business processes or systems that should receive the highest priority), and the costs associated with downtime? Are the approved thresholds appropriate?
– To what extent will this product open up for subsequent add-on products, e.g. business process outsourcing services built on top of a program-as-a-service offering?
– What is the importance of knowing the key performance indicators KPIs for a business process when trying to implement a business intelligence system?
– Has business process Cybersecurity has been included in continuity of operations plans for areas such as customer data, billing, etc.?
– Do you design data protection and privacy requirements into the development of your business processes and new systems?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Application Services delivery for example is new software needed?
– Do the functional areas need business process integration (e.g., order entl. billing, or Customer Service)?
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Application Services values?
– If we accept wire transfers what is the desired business process around supporting wire transfers?
– To satisfy customers and stakeholders, which internal business process must we excel in?
– How do clients contact client services with any questions about business processes?
– Do changes in business processes fall under the scope of change management?
– What business process supports the entry and validation of the data?
– How do we improve business processes and how do we deliver on that?
– What core business processes drive our industry and channel today?
– What is the business process?
Capability Maturity Model Critical Criteria:
Study Capability Maturity Model leadership and catalog what business benefits will Capability Maturity Model goals deliver if achieved.
– In a project to restructure Application Services outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– Have you identified your Application Services key performance indicators?
– How much does Application Services help?
Change Management Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Change Management decisions and display thorough understanding of the Change Management process.
– What are some concrete ways to help executives understand the value of change management?
– Does your organization have a preferred organizational change management methodology?
– Are CSI and organizational change underpinned by Kotters change management best practices?
– Do project management and Change Management look the same for every initiative?
– How effective is your organization with organizational change management?
– In what scenarios should change management systems be introduced?
– What change management practices does your organization employ?
– What is the Change Management process?
– Why do we need Change Management?
– When to start Change Management?
– What is Effective Application Services?
– What is Change Management?
Change impact analysis Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Change impact analysis tasks and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of Change impact analysis.
– Are there recognized Application Services problems?
Configuration Management Critical Criteria:
Investigate Configuration Management adoptions and pay attention to the small things.
– Have all mechanisms that can lead to temporary or permanent changes in the design requirements been identified?
– Have all mechanisms that can lead to temporary or permanent changes to facility configuration been identified?
– Have all mechanisms that can lead to temporary or permanent changes to facility documentation been identified?
– During release, do the configuration items used match with the latest version indicated in baseline record?
– Application sizing is a technique used by capacity management. why is application sizing important?
– What do you do when you find a build error in some other code that is related to your changes?
– Can we answer questions like: Are compliance and audit checks performed on a regular basis?
– Can we answer questions like: Are the relationships between cis established?
– Is there a Material Condition and Aging Management program in place?
– When can the building, testing and implementation of a change begin?
– Has change implementation been approved by appropriate authorities?
– Are the relationships between configuration items established?
– Is the appropriate version specified for each build component?
– Have databases been established for your CM Program?
– How will configuration items be identified?
– How do I find the information that I need?
– Who must approve changes to baselines?
– What should be in the plan?
– How does it relate to itil?
Connecting Process Critical Criteria:
Adapt Connecting Process engagements and arbitrate Connecting Process techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Application Services moving forward?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Application Services study?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Application Services?
Continuity Management Critical Criteria:
Refer to Continuity Management strategies and point out improvements in Continuity Management.
– Is a Application Services Team Work effort in place?
Contract Management Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Contract Management projects and create Contract Management explanations for all managers.
– What are the disruptive Application Services technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Is there a view as to when the market should be re-tested for the goods/services?
– How do we manage Application Services Knowledge Management (KM)?
– Is a disaster/back-up recovery system in place for each system?
Financial Management Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Financial Management issues and work towards be a leading Financial Management expert.
– Among the Application Services product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– How do we know that any Application Services analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– Are there Application Services problems defined?
Functional Management Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Functional Management issues and maintain Functional Management for success.
– What is the purpose of Application Services in relation to the mission?
IT Operation Management Critical Criteria:
Participate in IT Operation Management strategies and drive action.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Application Services process?
– What is the source of the strategies for Application Services strengthening and reform?
IT Service Management Critical Criteria:
Study IT Service Management planning and arbitrate IT Service Management techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– If SLAs are already negotiated and reference the Catalogue for documentation of the service levels, how do you change service level in the Catalogue without renegotiating the SLA?
– If we could not clearly quantify where the benefits were, we would then start getting lots of questions: why are you doing it because we could be spending the money elsewhere?
– How do you actually go about identifying, defining and then managing a set of services that make sense?
– In your organization, which group oversees/coordinates your IT service management capabilities?
– Does the cloud service provider require third-party providers in order to deliver services?
– What does each software asset cost now and throughout the upgrade or refresh cycles?
– What challenges and opportunities does cloud computing present for IT Service Management ?
– What factors influence the success of implementing it service management?
– Is there a defined enterprise it tool strategy and architecture model?
– Are you managing incidents primarily through emails and phone calls?
– What do enterprises really want from IT service management ITSM?
– Why are business sponsors for IT projects so important?
– Do you have a growing list of overdue incidents?
– What software do I have and why do we have it?
– Will we be eligible for ISO/IEC 20000 certification?
– Which software markets will SaaS disrupt?
– Are we doing things right?
– How is it integrated?
– What is ITIL?
Information Management Critical Criteria:
Infer Information Management leadership and don’t overlook the obvious.
– How can you negotiate Application Services successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– What is the difference between Enterprise Information Management and Data Warehousing?
– How is Business Intelligence and Information Management related?
– How to Secure Application Services?
Information Technology Critical Criteria:
Deliberate over Information Technology outcomes and find answers.
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Application Services opportunities costing us money?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
– What are our Application Services Processes?
Information Technology Infrastructure Library Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Information Technology Infrastructure Library tactics and figure out ways to motivate other Information Technology Infrastructure Library users.
– Have the types of risks that may impact Application Services been identified and analyzed?
– How important is Application Services to the user organizations mission?
– Does our organization need more Application Services education?
Information system Critical Criteria:
Define Information system results and reduce Information system costs.
– Have we developed a continuous monitoring strategy for the information systems (including monitoring of security control effectiveness for system-specific, hybrid, and common controls) that reflects the organizational Risk Management strategy and organizational commitment to protecting critical missions and business functions?
– On what terms should a manager of information systems evolution and maintenance provide service and support to the customers of information systems evolution and maintenance?
– Can we add value to the current Application Services decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– Has your organization conducted a cyber risk or vulnerability assessment of its information systems, control systems, and other networked systems?
– Are information security events and weaknesses associated with information systems communicated in a manner to allow timely corrective action to be taken?
– Would an information systems (is) group with more knowledge about a data production process produce better quality data for data consumers?
– Are information systems and the services of information systems things of value that have suppliers and customers?
– What does the customer get from the information systems performance, and on what does that depend, and when?
– What are the principal business applications (i.e. information systems available from staff PC desktops)?
– What are information systems, and who are the stakeholders in the information systems game?
– How secure -well protected against potential risks is the information system ?
– Is unauthorized access to information held in information systems prevented?
– Which Application Services goals are the most important?
– Is authorized user access to information systems ensured?
– How are our information systems developed ?
– Is security an integral part of information systems?
Management Process Critical Criteria:
Accelerate Management Process leadership and observe effective Management Process.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Application Services product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– The slower data transfer rate between a compute cluster and a storage array has been adversely impacting multiple cloud services. which Service Management process helps to mitigate this impact?
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Application Services is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– Will there be a need to modify established Identity and Access Management processes and infrastructure, for example, new roles, new approvals, and so on?
– Do you have a clearly defined organizational structure at organization level in order to sustain the risk management process?
– Does your organization have a formal Risk Management process in place to assess and mitigate risks to the organization?
– In which two Service Management processes would you be most likely to use a risk analysis and management method?
– Do you have a process for looking at consequences of cyber incidents that informs your risk management process?
– Allow import and data management processes to be immediately executed or scheduled to run on regular intervals?
– Does our organization have a Cybersecurity Risk Management process that is functioning and repeatable?
– Which is the correct combination of concepts and Service Management processes?
– Is there systematic monitoring and documentation of the management process?
– Do governance and risk management processes address Cybersecurity risks?
– Is there a patch management process in place?
Mathematical programming Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Mathematical programming results and interpret which customers can’t participate in Mathematical programming because they lack skills.
– Does Application Services systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
Planning and Control Critical Criteria:
Give examples of Planning and Control visions and overcome Planning and Control skills and management ineffectiveness.
– Is the Application Services organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Application Services requirements in detail?
– What will drive Application Services change?
Public domain Critical Criteria:
Examine Public domain strategies and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Public domain decisions.
– What is our formula for success in Application Services ?
Quality Management Critical Criteria:
Disseminate Quality Management adoptions and triple focus on important concepts of Quality Management relationship management.
– What is the future of Data Quality management?
– Who sets the Application Services standards?
– Quality management -are clients satisfied?
Service Provider Critical Criteria:
Talk about Service Provider governance and triple focus on important concepts of Service Provider relationship management.
– During the last 3 years, have you experienced a disruption to your computer system that lasted longer than 4 hours for any reason (other than planned downtime)?
– How quickly can a cloud service provider scale services and capability and is this quick enough for the requirements of the customer/consumer?
– Will the service providers staff have/be able to obtain the appropriate personnel and facility clearances?
– Are documented procedures in place for user and password management and are they monitored for compliance?
– Do you utilize retained private information in any other way than originally intended or disclosed?
– Are user accounts audited regularly to determine their security levels are appropriately set?
– Is anti-virus software installed on all computers/servers that connect to your network?
– Legal/Investigation What are the legal and prosecutorial implications of an incident?
– Do you have a formal procedure in place for handling customer complaints?
– Does the service provider have a service desk function based on ITIL principles?
– Is the service provider eligible for certification under the scheme?
– Do you have any data sharing agreements with any 3rd parties?
– Is the cloud service providers service desk local, onshore or offshore?
– Do current policies cover existing practices adequately?
– Is the anti-virus software package updated regularly?
– Have you had a security audit performed in the past?
– Can Managing Enterprise Security Be Made Easier?
– Is sensitive data being properly encrypted?
– What can be self certified?
Software Control and Distribution Critical Criteria:
Face Software Control and Distribution decisions and innovate what needs to be done with Software Control and Distribution.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Application Services?
Software testing Critical Criteria:
Disseminate Software testing governance and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of Software testing.
– Do we monitor the Application Services decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Application Services project?
Supplier Management Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Supplier Management adoptions and clarify ways to gain access to competitive Supplier Management services.
– In the case of a Application Services project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Application Services project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Application Services project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Application Services project?
Use Support Critical Criteria:
Design Use Support goals and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Use Support projects.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Application Services strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Does the tool we use support the ability to configure user content management alerts?
– What are the barriers to increased Application Services production?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Application Services Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Application Services External links:
Walkthrough: Using ASP.NET Application Services
AAMVA – Application Services
Las Vegas Post Office Offers Passport Application Services
Application Services Library External links:
Application Services Library (ASL)
Application Services Library – Sensagent.com
http://dictionary.sensagent.com/application services library/en-en
Application Maintenance External links:
REFI Loan Application Maintenance – MEFA
APPLICATION MAINTENANCE & SUPPORT – EA Team
Application Maintenance and Support | App Maintenance
Application Management External links:
Application Management – Dixie State University
Application Management – Admissions Home
SurveyMonkey Apply | Online Application Management …
Application Strategy External links:
Pace-Layered Application Strategy – Gartner IT Glossary
ERP Application Strategy Roadmap for Maximizing Long …
Application Support External links:
40+ Application Support Analyst Resume Samples | JobHero
Application Support Analyst Jobs – Monster.com
Application Support Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Application software External links:
Title application software Free Download for Windows
wiTECH Diagnostic Application Software Download – …
Best practices External links:
Best Practices — Attorneys Title I North Carolina
[PDF]Title Insurance and Settlement Company Best Practices
ALTA – Best Practices
Business process External links:
Infosys BPM – Business Process Management | BPM Solutions
Canon Business Process Services
Microsoft Dynamics 365 – Modernizing Business Process …
Capability Maturity Model External links:
What is Capability Maturity Model (CMM)? – Definition …
[PDF]Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI) Overview
Buildings Cybersecurity Capability Maturity Model
Change Management External links:
[PDF]Organizational Change Management Readiness Guide …
Change management experts -Change Management Leaders
CDT Releases Organizational Change Management and …
Change impact analysis External links:
Change impact analysis for Java programs and applications
[PDF]Change Impact Analysis – gkc.org.uk
[PDF]Change Impact analysis IEC 61508v4F17PSAM12
Configuration Management External links:
Syslog Server – Network Configuration Management | Kiwi
Configuration Management | IpX
Continuity Management External links:
A framework for business continuity management – …
[PDF]IT Service Continuity Management Business Impact …
http://itsm.ucsf.edu/sites/itsm.ucsf.edu/files/ITSM BIA Process v1.2-1.pdf
Stoneroad’s Blog | Business Continuity Management (BCM)
Contract Management External links:
[PDF]Contract Management Manual – September 2016
IT Operation Management External links:
IT Operation Management- ServiceNow ITOM – InSource
IT Service Management External links:
IT Service Management | Availability Management | Optanix
Remedy 9 – IT Service Management Suite – BMC Software
Information Management External links:
Health Information Management (HIM) Education and Training
AIMS – Aging Information Management System
electronic Child Care Information Management System – …
Information Technology External links:
Blackboard SaaS | Information Technology
Information Technology (IT) Industry & Association | CompTIA
Umail | University Information Technology Services
Information Technology Infrastructure Library External links:
Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) Guide
Information system External links:
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS)
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS)
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System
Management Process External links:
[PDF]Performance Management Process – Oklahoma
Mathematical programming External links:
[PDF]MTHSC 4420 Advanced Mathematical Programming …
Register for Journal Updates – Mathematical Programming
Planning and Control External links:
[PDF]Land Use Planning And Control – McKissock Learning
Accenture Planning And Control
[PDF]Budgeting and the Planning and Control Process
Public domain External links:
Public Domain Images — Download Free Photos
SnappyGoat.com – Free Public Domain Images
Quality Management External links:
Quality Management Training Solutions from BSI
Antelope Valley Air Quality Management District
Login – ASCWebQI – Quality Management Tools
Service Provider External links:
Wasatch Peaks Credit Union – Financial Service Provider
Sonic – Internet & Phone Service Provider
Software Control and Distribution External links:
[PDF]Software Control and Distribution – NSW Department of …
Software testing External links:
Software Testing, Monitoring, Developer Tools | SmartBear
Supplier Management External links:
Accenture – Supplier Management System – CVM Solutions
Login & Support | ADP Supplier Management Portal
Veritiv Supplier Management Portal Payment Search