What is involved in Governance Risk and Compliance
Find out what the related areas are that Governance Risk and Compliance connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Governance Risk and Compliance thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Governance Risk and Compliance journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Governance Risk and Compliance leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Governance Risk and Compliance related domains to cover and 182 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Governance Risk and Compliance, Governance, risk management, and compliance, Chief compliance officer, Chief governance officer, Climate governance, Clinical governance, Collaborative governance, Conformity assessment, Corporate governance, Cultural governance, Data governance, Earth system governance, Ecclesiastical polity, Enterprise risk management, Environmental, social and corporate governance, Environmental governance, Global governance, Good governance, Governance in higher education, ISO 19600, Information Technology, Information governance, Information system, Local governance, Market governance mechanism, Multistakeholder governance model, Network governance, Ocean governance, Open-source governance, Political party governance, Private governance, Project governance, Records management, Regulatory compliance, Risk appetite, Risk management, SOA governance, Security sector governance and reform, Simulation Governance, Soil governance, Sustainable Governance Indicators, Technology governance, Transnational governance, Website governance, World Governance Index:
Governance Risk and Compliance Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Governance Risk and Compliance issues and integrate design thinking in Governance Risk and Compliance innovation.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Governance Risk and Compliance processes?
– Does the Governance Risk and Compliance task fit the clients priorities?
– Why are Governance Risk and Compliance skills important?
Governance, risk management, and compliance Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about Governance, risk management, and compliance goals and look for lots of ideas.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Governance Risk and Compliance strengthening and reform actually originate?
– Do we monitor the Governance Risk and Compliance decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– How do we maintain Governance Risk and Compliances Integrity?
Chief compliance officer Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for Chief compliance officer decisions and look for lots of ideas.
– What vendors make products that address the Governance Risk and Compliance needs?
– What threat is Governance Risk and Compliance addressing?
– What is our Governance Risk and Compliance Strategy?
Chief governance officer Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Chief governance officer failures and create Chief governance officer explanations for all managers.
– What are specific Governance Risk and Compliance Rules to follow?
– How much does Governance Risk and Compliance help?
Climate governance Critical Criteria:
Contribute to Climate governance adoptions and assess and formulate effective operational and Climate governance strategies.
– Does Governance Risk and Compliance include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– How do we go about Securing Governance Risk and Compliance?
Clinical governance Critical Criteria:
Deliberate over Clinical governance failures and proactively manage Clinical governance risks.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Governance Risk and Compliance?
– Does Governance Risk and Compliance analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
Collaborative governance Critical Criteria:
Administer Collaborative governance results and separate what are the business goals Collaborative governance is aiming to achieve.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Governance Risk and Compliance processes?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Governance Risk and Compliance project?
– Think of your Governance Risk and Compliance project. what are the main functions?
Conformity assessment Critical Criteria:
Look at Conformity assessment tactics and explore and align the progress in Conformity assessment.
– Consider your own Governance Risk and Compliance project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– What role(s) do or should national/international standards and organizations that develop national/international standards play in critical infrastructure Cybersecurity conformity assessment?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Governance Risk and Compliance? There might be some that are less obvious?
– Do we all define Governance Risk and Compliance in the same way?
Corporate governance Critical Criteria:
Audit Corporate governance outcomes and assess and formulate effective operational and Corporate governance strategies.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Governance Risk and Compliance goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Governance Risk and Compliance process?
– How can we improve Governance Risk and Compliance?
Cultural governance Critical Criteria:
Chat re Cultural governance quality and oversee implementation of Cultural governance.
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Governance Risk and Compliance project?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Governance Risk and Compliance ?
Data governance Critical Criteria:
Review Data governance projects and correct Data governance management by competencies.
– Consider receiving input from other organizations that have successfully launched data governance programs. what metrics did their executives want to see?
– Who has decision and/or input rights for the decisions that must be made concerning your key data processes?
– Have you ever sat in a meeting where everyone has a different number for the same performance measure?
– Is there an ongoing data cleansing procedure to look for rot (redundant, obsolete, trivial content)?
– Does the organization have a current inventory of all computer equipment,software,and data files?
– Does the expected return on investment (roi) of this new collection justify putting it in place?
– What technical specifications should we build into our infrastructure to produce quality data?
– What is the cost (time, money, resources) associated with this new collection?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– Standards evaluation -are there standards to be adhered to or created?
– Are multiple sections responsible for the requested data?
– Who knows the nitty-gritty details about your systems?
– Can this be shared in or outside of our organization?
– Why is the need to implement data governance urgent?
– What does software development maturity really mean?
– How do you decide which goals you should pursue?
– Are there too many documents in a category?
– How does data governance work?
– Logical data model available?
– What is data governance?
Earth system governance Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Earth system governance tactics and maintain Earth system governance for success.
– For your Governance Risk and Compliance project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– What are the barriers to increased Governance Risk and Compliance production?
– How will you measure your Governance Risk and Compliance effectiveness?
Ecclesiastical polity Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Ecclesiastical polity decisions and develop and take control of the Ecclesiastical polity initiative.
– Do those selected for the Governance Risk and Compliance team have a good general understanding of what Governance Risk and Compliance is all about?
– Do the Governance Risk and Compliance decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– How do we manage Governance Risk and Compliance Knowledge Management (KM)?
Enterprise risk management Critical Criteria:
Consult on Enterprise risk management projects and transcribe Enterprise risk management as tomorrows backbone for success.
– Has management conducted a comprehensive evaluation of the entirety of enterprise Risk Management at least once every three years or sooner if a major strategy or management change occurs, a program is added or deleted, changes in economic or political conditions exist, or changes in operations or methods of processing information have occurred?
– Does the information infrastructure convert raw data into more meaningful, relevant information to create knowledgeable and wise decisions that assists personnel in carrying out their enterprise Risk Management and other responsibilities?
– Has management considered from external parties (e.g., customers, vendors and others doing business with the entity, external auditors, and regulators) important information on the functioning of an entitys enterprise Risk Management?
– Are findings of enterprise Risk Management deficiencies reported to the individual responsible for the function or activity involved, as well as to at least one level of management above that person?
– Do regular face-to-face meetings occur with risk champions or other employees from a range of functions and entity units with responsibility for aspects of enterprise Risk Management?
– What are the key elements of your Governance Risk and Compliance performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– Is a technical solution for data loss prevention -i.e., systems designed to automatically monitor for data leakage -considered essential to enterprise risk management?
– Has management taken appropriate corrective actions related to reports from external sources for their implications for enterprise Risk Management?
– Has management taken an occasional fresh look at focusing directly on enterprise Risk Management effectiveness?
– To what extent is Cybersecurity risk incorporated into organizations overarching enterprise Risk Management?
– How do mission and objectives affect the Governance Risk and Compliance processes of our organization?
– To what extent is Cybersecurity risk incorporated into organizations overarching enterprise Risk Management?
– To what extent is Cybersecurity Risk Management integrated into enterprise risk management?
– Do policy and procedure manuals address managements enterprise Risk Management philosophy?
– How is the enterprise Risk Management model used to assess and respond to risk?
– When you need advice about enterprise Risk Management, whom do you call?
– What is our formula for success in Governance Risk and Compliance ?
– What is our enterprise Risk Management strategy?
Environmental, social and corporate governance Critical Criteria:
Deliberate Environmental, social and corporate governance adoptions and find out what it really means.
– How do we ensure that implementations of Governance Risk and Compliance products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Governance Risk and Compliance project?
– What are internal and external Governance Risk and Compliance relations?
Environmental governance Critical Criteria:
Sort Environmental governance tasks and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Environmental governance results.
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Governance Risk and Compliance activities?
Global governance Critical Criteria:
Unify Global governance projects and point out Global governance tensions in leadership.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Governance Risk and Compliance experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Governance Risk and Compliance does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– When a Governance Risk and Compliance manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
Good governance Critical Criteria:
Infer Good governance goals and ask what if.
– Is maximizing Governance Risk and Compliance protection the same as minimizing Governance Risk and Compliance loss?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Governance Risk and Compliance activities?
Governance in higher education Critical Criteria:
Study Governance in higher education projects and get going.
– What are the disruptive Governance Risk and Compliance technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Governance Risk and Compliance requirements in detail?
ISO 19600 Critical Criteria:
Judge ISO 19600 risks and cater for concise ISO 19600 education.
– How can you negotiate Governance Risk and Compliance successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– How is the value delivered by Governance Risk and Compliance being measured?
Information Technology Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Information Technology leadership and arbitrate Information Technology techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– Which customers cant participate in our Governance Risk and Compliance domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– Is the Governance Risk and Compliance organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
Information governance Critical Criteria:
Have a round table over Information governance governance and describe which business rules are needed as Information governance interface.
– How does your organization assess staff training needs and ensure job/role specific information governance training is provided to all staff?
– How is the chief executive or equivalent management board consulted and/or informed of information governance issues?
– What governance arrangements do you have in place to support the current and evolving information governance agenda?
– What is the organizations most effective method of training for information governance knowledge and skills?
– In relation to information governance, what are the key challenges or changes facing your organization?
– What is the organizations preferred method of training for information governance knowledge and skills?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Governance Risk and Compliance move?
– Which Governance Risk and Compliance goals are the most important?
Information system Critical Criteria:
Study Information system planning and describe which business rules are needed as Information system interface.
– On what terms should a manager of information systems evolution and maintenance provide service and support to the customers of information systems evolution and maintenance?
– Has your organization conducted a cyber risk or vulnerability assessment of its information systems, control systems, and other networked systems?
– Are information security events and weaknesses associated with information systems communicated in a manner to allow timely corrective action to be taken?
– Would an information systems (is) group with more knowledge about a data production process produce better quality data for data consumers?
– Are information systems and the services of information systems things of value that have suppliers and customers?
– What does the customer get from the information systems performance, and on what does that depend, and when?
– What are the principal business applications (i.e. information systems available from staff PC desktops)?
– Why Learn About Security, Privacy, and Ethical Issues in Information Systems and the Internet?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Governance Risk and Compliance leaders?
– How secure -well protected against potential risks is the information system ?
– Is unauthorized access to information held in information systems prevented?
– What does integrity ensure in an information system?
– Is authorized user access to information systems ensured?
– How are our information systems developed ?
– Is security an integral part of information systems?
– Are there Governance Risk and Compliance Models?
– Is Governance Risk and Compliance Required?
Local governance Critical Criteria:
Survey Local governance management and summarize a clear Local governance focus.
– What are the business goals Governance Risk and Compliance is aiming to achieve?
– What are current Governance Risk and Compliance Paradigms?
Market governance mechanism Critical Criteria:
Revitalize Market governance mechanism engagements and explore and align the progress in Market governance mechanism.
– Does Governance Risk and Compliance systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Governance Risk and Compliance?
– Are assumptions made in Governance Risk and Compliance stated explicitly?
Multistakeholder governance model Critical Criteria:
Adapt Multistakeholder governance model management and find the ideas you already have.
– Does Governance Risk and Compliance analysis show the relationships among important Governance Risk and Compliance factors?
– What business benefits will Governance Risk and Compliance goals deliver if achieved?
– What are our Governance Risk and Compliance Processes?
Network governance Critical Criteria:
Jump start Network governance projects and look at it backwards.
Ocean governance Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Ocean governance outcomes and point out Ocean governance tensions in leadership.
– Have you identified your Governance Risk and Compliance key performance indicators?
Open-source governance Critical Criteria:
Meet over Open-source governance issues and describe the risks of Open-source governance sustainability.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Governance Risk and Compliance process?
Political party governance Critical Criteria:
Model after Political party governance leadership and know what your objective is.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Governance Risk and Compliance product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Why is Governance Risk and Compliance important for you now?
Private governance Critical Criteria:
Powwow over Private governance visions and explain and analyze the challenges of Private governance.
Project governance Critical Criteria:
Facilitate Project governance results and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Project governance.
– In a project to restructure Governance Risk and Compliance outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
Records management Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Records management failures and drive action.
– Have records center personnel received training on the records management aspects of the Quality Assurance program?
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Governance Risk and Compliance values?
– How do we Identify specific Governance Risk and Compliance investment and emerging trends?
Regulatory compliance Critical Criteria:
Learn from Regulatory compliance management and know what your objective is.
– In the case of public clouds, will the hosting service provider meet their regulatory compliance requirements?
– Regulatory compliance: Is the cloud vendor willing to undergo external audits and/or security certifications?
– Is there any existing Governance Risk and Compliance governance structure?
– What is Regulatory Compliance ?
Risk appetite Critical Criteria:
Canvass Risk appetite visions and summarize a clear Risk appetite focus.
– How do we revise the risk appetite statement so that we can link it to risk culture, roll it out effectively to the business units and bring it to life for them. How do we make it meaningful in connecting it with what they do day-to-day?
– Is there a clearly defined IT risk appetite that has been successfully implemented?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Governance Risk and Compliance Management?
– Risk appetite: at what point does the risk become unacceptable?
Risk management Critical Criteria:
Confer over Risk management visions and finalize specific methods for Risk management acceptance.
– Organizational support in providing services: do managers provide encouragement and support for collaborative activities and what is the impact on operations, documentation, billing, and Risk Management?
– If the liability portion of a Cybersecurity insurance policy is a claims-made policy, is an extended reporting endorsement (tail coverage) offered?
– Which factors posed a challenge to, or contributed to the success of, your companys ITRM initiatives in the past 12 months?
– To what extent is your companys approach to ITRM aligned with the ERM strategies and frameworks?
– In your opinion, how effective is your company at conducting the risk management activities?
– Hos is the Vendor and its organization reliability, are they following through on promises?
– Is there disagreement or conflict about a decision/choice or course of action to be taken?
– How can organizations advance from good IT Risk Management practice to great?
– Does the addition of a new service add a professional liability exposure?
– What are the best practices for Risk Management in Social Media?
– Do you use any homegrown IT system for ERM or risk assessments?
– What needs to happen for improvement actions to take place?
– Have reporting expectations been established for entities?
– Where are we going/what is important to us?
– Are there beyond-compliance activities?
– Is an internal fire plan posted?
– What are the Threats?
SOA governance Critical Criteria:
Participate in SOA governance strategies and slay a dragon.
Security sector governance and reform Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Security sector governance and reform strategies and research ways can we become the Security sector governance and reform company that would put us out of business.
– Think about the functions involved in your Governance Risk and Compliance project. what processes flow from these functions?
Simulation Governance Critical Criteria:
Incorporate Simulation Governance issues and point out Simulation Governance tensions in leadership.
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Governance Risk and Compliance study?
Soil governance Critical Criteria:
Depict Soil governance tactics and observe effective Soil governance.
– What are our needs in relation to Governance Risk and Compliance skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– How would one define Governance Risk and Compliance leadership?
Sustainable Governance Indicators Critical Criteria:
Sort Sustainable Governance Indicators strategies and define Sustainable Governance Indicators competency-based leadership.
– Think about the people you identified for your Governance Risk and Compliance project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– What are all of our Governance Risk and Compliance domains and what do they do?
Technology governance Critical Criteria:
Probe Technology governance tasks and arbitrate Technology governance techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Governance Risk and Compliance process?
– Is Governance Risk and Compliance Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
Transnational governance Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Transnational governance outcomes and innovate what needs to be done with Transnational governance.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Governance Risk and Compliance?
– Have all basic functions of Governance Risk and Compliance been defined?
Website governance Critical Criteria:
Detail Website governance issues and work towards be a leading Website governance expert.
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Governance Risk and Compliance objectives?
– How do we know that any Governance Risk and Compliance analysis is complete and comprehensive?
World Governance Index Critical Criteria:
Dissect World Governance Index leadership and devise World Governance Index key steps.
– Are there Governance Risk and Compliance problems defined?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Governance Risk and Compliance Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Governance Risk and Compliance External links:
Eukleia Training | Governance Risk and Compliance …
Governance Risk and Compliance Solutions – Infor
Governance, risk management, and compliance External links:
Career Path – Governance, Risk Management, and Compliance …
Chief compliance officer External links:
General Counsel & Chief Compliance Officer Daniel Follis, Jr.
Chief Compliance Officer Support – usbank.com
Chief governance officer External links:
Chief Governance Officer, OSGE | Devex
Climate governance External links:
[PDF]A Polycentric Approach to Global Climate Governance
Clinical governance External links:
Clinical Governance Essays – ManyEssays.com
[PPT]Clinical Governance – University of Pittsburgh
Collaborative governance External links:
Collaborative Governance: The Case of WNC EdNET « …
Welcome to Collaborative Governance
Conformity assessment External links:
AB-CAB – Accreditation Board for Conformity Assessment …
Corporate governance External links:
Program on Corporate Governance – About the Program
Corporate Governance & Company Law: Nathan Trust
Morgan Stanley Corporate Governance
Data governance External links:
Dataguise | Sensitive Data Governance
What is data governance (DG)? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Data Governance Analyst Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Earth system governance External links:
Earth System Governance | The MIT Press
Earth System Governance | The MIT Press
Earth System Governance Project – Home | Facebook
Enterprise risk management External links:
Enterprise Risk Management Compliance and …
[PDF]Guide to Enterprise Risk Management – Office of The …
ERM Software | Enterprise Risk Management & GRC …
Environmental, social and corporate governance External links:
Environmental, social and corporate governance – …
Environmental governance External links:
Environmental governance | UN Environment
Global governance External links:
Global Governance Watch©
Global Governance Software
Global Governance Monitor – cfr.org
Good governance External links:
TASB Good Governance
The Good Governance Awards, 2017
The Coalition for Good Governance
Information Technology External links:
Box @ IU | University Information Technology Services
Rebelmail | UNLV Office of Information Technology (OIT)
SOLAR | Division of Information Technology
Information governance External links:
Information Governance | InfoGov Basics
Information Governance | BakerHostetler
Information system External links:
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS)
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System: …
[PDF]National Motor Vehicle Title Information System
Local governance External links:
[PDF]State and Local Governance – Wisconsin Department …
DeLoG – Decentralisation & Local Governance
The Hague Academy for Local Governance – Home | …
Network governance External links:
POD Network Governance – POD Network: Professional …
Globalization, Edu-Business and Network Governance: …
Ocean governance External links:
Ocean Governance for Sustainability – Challenges, …
Private governance External links:
[PDF]Merging Public and Private Governance: How Disney’s …
Project governance External links:
400: IT PROJECT GOVERNANCE – OIT
NuGet Project Governance | Microsoft Docs
[PDF]Payroll Services Consolidation Project Governance …
https://services.oregon.gov/das/Docs/Governance Structure PSCP.pdf
Records management External links:
Records Management – Record Series
Document Storage – Records Management – Shredding | …
National Archives Records Management Information Page
Regulatory compliance External links:
What is regulatory compliance? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Trinity Consultants – Regulatory Compliance …
Regulatory Compliance testing and certification
Risk appetite External links:
What is risk appetite? – Definition from WhatIs.com
[PDF]RISK APPETITE AND TOLERANCE – NYBA | New York …
Risk Appetite – BrightTALK
Risk management External links:
“Billions” Risk Management (TV Episode 2017) – IMDb
Driver Risk Management Solutions | AlertDriving
Risk Management Job Titles | Enlighten Jobs
SOA governance External links:
SOA Governance Standards | OCIO
SOA governance technologies – Gartner IT Glossary
Soil governance External links:
Technology governance External links:
Information Technology Governance Committee (ITGC)
Information Technology Governance Maturity: Examining …
[PDF]Information Technology Governance
Transnational governance External links:
School of Transnational Governance