What is involved in Splunk
Find out what the related areas are that Splunk connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Splunk thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Splunk journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Splunk leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Splunk related domains to cover and 117 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Splunk, Amazon Web Services, Apache Hadoop, Application management, Big data, Booz Allen Hamilton, CA, Inc., CIO magazine, Horizontal market, Information security, International Data Group, Machine-generated data, Machine learning, Multinational corporation, New Relic, Public company, Riverbed Technology, San Francisco, San Francisco, California, Sumo Logic, The New York Times, Ticker symbol, United States dollar, Venture capital, Web analytics:
Splunk Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Splunk governance and maintain Splunk for success.
– New roles. Executives interested in leading a big data transition can start with two simple techniques. First, they can get in the habit of asking What do the data say?
– Looking at hadoop big data in the rearview mirror what would you have done differently after implementing a Data Lake?
– What is (or would be) the added value of collaborating with other entities regarding data sharing in your sector?
– Future: Given the focus on Big Data where should the Chief Executive for these initiatives report?
– What are the primary business drivers for our initiative. What business challenges do we face?
– Quality vs. Quantity: What data are required to satisfy the given value proposition?
– How will systems and methods evolve to remove Big Data solution weaknesses?
– What if the needle in the haystack happens to be a complex data structure?
– How much value is created for each unit of data (whatever it is)?
– Future Plans What is the future plan to expand this solution?
– Is the need persistent enough to justify development costs?
– Can we really afford to store and process all that data?
– How do we measure the efficiency of these algorithms?
– How to model context in a computational environment?
– Are our Big Data investment programs results driven?
– How robust are the results?
– What s limiting the task?
– How to use in practice?
– What is in Scope?
Amazon Web Services Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Amazon Web Services strategies and point out Amazon Web Services tensions in leadership.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Splunk in a volatile global economy?
– What is the best strategy going forward for data center disaster recovery?
– Amazon web services is which type of cloud computing distribution model?
Apache Hadoop Critical Criteria:
Chat re Apache Hadoop quality and maintain Apache Hadoop for success.
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Splunk?
– Can we do Splunk without complex (expensive) analysis?
– How do we keep improving Splunk?
Application management Critical Criteria:
Participate in Application management visions and report on setting up Application management without losing ground.
– What business benefits will Splunk goals deliver if achieved?
– What about Splunk Analysis of results?
– How can we improve Splunk?
Big data Critical Criteria:
Derive from Big data management and adjust implementation of Big data.
– What is (or would be) the added value of collaborating with other entities regarding data sharing across economic sectors?
– What tools do you consider particularly important to handle unstructured data expressed in (a) natural language(s)?
– What is the Quality of the Result if the Quality of the Data/Metadata is poor?
– Are there any best practices or standards for the use of Big Data solutions?
– Is the process repeatable as we change algorithms and data structures?
– What are the new applications that are enabled by Big Data solutions?
– Does your organization have the necessary skills to handle big data?
– How fast can we affect the environment based on what we see?
– Where do you see the need for standardisation actions?
– Which other Oracle products are used in your solution?
– Do you see a need to share data processing facilities?
– How do you handle Big Data in Analytic Applications?
– More efficient all-to-all operations (similarities)?
– Why use expensive machines when cheap ones suffice?
– What load balancing technique should we use?
– Where Is This Big Data Coming From ?
– Does Big Data Really Need HPC?
– What about Volunteered data?
Booz Allen Hamilton Critical Criteria:
Examine Booz Allen Hamilton goals and catalog what business benefits will Booz Allen Hamilton goals deliver if achieved.
– Which customers cant participate in our Splunk domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Splunk forward?
– What are specific Splunk Rules to follow?
CA, Inc. Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on CA, Inc. goals and change contexts.
– In the case of a Splunk project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Splunk project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Splunk project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– What is the total cost related to deploying Splunk, including any consulting or professional services?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Splunk study?
CIO magazine Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in CIO magazine leadership and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough CIO magazine results.
– What potential environmental factors impact the Splunk effort?
– Why are Splunk skills important?
Horizontal market Critical Criteria:
Discuss Horizontal market goals and get the big picture.
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Splunk requirements in detail?
– How is the value delivered by Splunk being measured?
Information security Critical Criteria:
Test Information security strategies and look at the big picture.
– Is the software and application development process based on an industry best practice and is information security included throughout the software development life cycle (sdlc) process?
– Has specific responsibility been assigned for the execution of business continuity and disaster recovery plans (either within or outside of the information security function)?
– Are information security policies and other relevant security information disseminated to all system users (including vendors, contractors, and business partners)?
– Does the ISMS policy provide a framework for setting objectives and establishes an overall sense of direction and principles for action with regard to information security?
– Is a risk treatment plan formulated to identify the appropriate mgmt action, resources, responsibilities and priorities for managing information security risks?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– Is the risk assessment approach defined and suited to the ISMS, identified business information security, legal and regulatory requirements?
– Do suitable policies for the information security exist for all critical assets of the value added chain (degree of completeness)?
– Have standards for information security across all entities been established or codified into law?
– Have standards for information security across all entities been established or codified into regulations?
– What best describes the authorization process in information security?
– : Return of Information Security Investment, Are you spending enough?
– Is information security an it function within the company?
International Data Group Critical Criteria:
Refer to International Data Group issues and point out International Data Group tensions in leadership.
– What are our needs in relation to Splunk skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Splunk that make it risky?
– How to deal with Splunk Changes?
Machine-generated data Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Machine-generated data decisions and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of Machine-generated data.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Splunk services/products?
– Do you see the need to address the issues of data ownership or access to non-personal data (e.g. machine-generated data)?
– Is Splunk dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
Machine learning Critical Criteria:
Merge Machine learning results and integrate design thinking in Machine learning innovation.
– What are the long-term implications of other disruptive technologies (e.g., machine learning, robotics, data analytics) converging with blockchain development?
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Splunk agendas for the next 3 years?
Multinational corporation Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Multinational corporation governance and report on developing an effective Multinational corporation strategy.
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Splunk process?
– Are there recognized Splunk problems?
– How do we Lead with Splunk in Mind?
New Relic Critical Criteria:
Generalize New Relic planning and revise understanding of New Relic architectures.
– Think about the functions involved in your Splunk project. what processes flow from these functions?
– What are the barriers to increased Splunk production?
– Why is Splunk important for you now?
Public company Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Public company decisions and be persistent.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Splunk. How do we gain traction?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Splunk? There might be some that are less obvious?
Riverbed Technology Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about Riverbed Technology failures and pioneer acquisition of Riverbed Technology systems.
– What are the Key enablers to make this Splunk move?
– What are current Splunk Paradigms?
San Francisco Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate San Francisco projects and question.
– Are accountability and ownership for Splunk clearly defined?
– Do we all define Splunk in the same way?
– What threat is Splunk addressing?
San Francisco, California Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on San Francisco, California outcomes and define what our big hairy audacious San Francisco, California goal is.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Splunk delivery for example is new software needed?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Splunk opportunities costing us money?
– Is Supporting Splunk documentation required?
Sumo Logic Critical Criteria:
Confer re Sumo Logic issues and forecast involvement of future Sumo Logic projects in development.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Splunk process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Splunk process available?
– Does Splunk systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– Is the Splunk organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
The New York Times Critical Criteria:
Boost The New York Times governance and oversee The New York Times management by competencies.
– To what extent does management recognize Splunk as a tool to increase the results?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Splunk leaders?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Splunk?
Ticker symbol Critical Criteria:
Grade Ticker symbol strategies and look at the big picture.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Splunk is underway?
United States dollar Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in United States dollar adoptions and differentiate in coordinating United States dollar.
– How can you negotiate Splunk successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Splunk objectives?
Venture capital Critical Criteria:
Substantiate Venture capital visions and be persistent.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Splunk processes?
– Does Splunk analysis show the relationships among important Splunk factors?
– How do we Improve Splunk service perception, and satisfaction?
Web analytics Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Web analytics tactics and devote time assessing Web analytics and its risk.
– Will Splunk have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Splunk?
– What statistics should one be familiar with for business intelligence and web analytics?
– How is cloud computing related to web analytics?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Splunk Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Splunk External links:
Splunk – Official Site
Splunk Inc. (SPLK) Q3 2018 Earnings Conference Call …
Ask Questions, Get Support | Splunk Answers
Amazon Web Services External links:
Amazon Web Services – Official Site
Amazon Web Services Sign-In
AWS re:Invent 2017 | Amazon Web Services
Apache Hadoop External links:
Apache Hadoop – Official Site
Apache Hadoop 3.0.0 – Apache Hadoop YARN
Application management External links:
Application Management – Concord University
Big data External links:
Event Hubs – Cloud big data solutions | Microsoft Azure
Big Data Analytics | Edinburgh | Big Data Scotland 2017
ZestFinance.com: Machine Learning & Big Data …
Booz Allen Hamilton External links:
Transitioning Military – Booz Allen Hamilton
Booz Allen Hamilton – Official Site
CIO magazine External links:
CIO Magazine | The Millennial Lab
CIO Magazine Issue Archive | CIO
Horizontal market External links:
Definition of Horizontal Market Software – PC.net
horizontal market – Wiktionary
What is Horizontal Market? definition and meaning
Information security External links:
[PDF]Tax Information Security Guidelines For Federal, …
ALTA – Information Security
Title & Settlement Information Security
International Data Group External links:
19 International Data Group reviews in Framingham, MA. A free inside look at company reviews and salaries posted anonymously by employees.
International Data Group Executives, Organizational …
International Data Group’s Acquisition – CB Insights
Machine learning External links:
Comcast Labs – PHLAI: Machine Learning Conference
The Machine Learning Conference
ZestFinance.com: Machine Learning & Big Data …
Multinational corporation External links:
Multinational Corporation Essays – ManyEssays.com
Multinational corporation | business | Britannica.com
multinational corporation – Everything2.com
New Relic External links:
New Relic – Official Site
New Relic: What is DevOps – Explained
Working at New Relic: Employee Reviews | Indeed.com
Public company External links:
Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB) – SEC.gov
Stony Hill Corp – Public Company | Stny Hill
Riverbed Technology External links:
Information about devices from Riverbed Technology …
893 Riverbed Technology reviews. A free inside look at company reviews and salaries posted anonymously by employees.
San Francisco External links:
San Francisco (1936) – IMDb
Current Local Time in San Francisco, California, USA
A Barbary Coast saloonkeeper and a Nob Hill impresario are rivals for the affections of a beautiful singer, both personally and professionally in 1906 San Francisco.
San Francisco, California External links:
Time difference between San Francisco, California, USA …
Current Local Time in San Francisco, California, USA
Sumo Logic External links:
Home – Sumo Logic
Sumo Logic – Official Site
The New York Times External links:
The New York Times Company
NYTimes.com Search – The New York Times
The School of The New York Times
Ticker symbol External links:
What is a ticker symbol? definition and meaning
Stock Ticker Symbol Lookup – MarketWatch
SEC.gov | “Q” Added To Stock Ticker Symbol
United States dollar External links:
USD | United States Dollar | OANDA
Venture capital External links:
Elevar Equity – Human Centered Venture Capital
FundRx | Healthcare and Life Science Venture Capital | FundRx
Venture Capital – Mashable
Web analytics External links:
11 Best Web Analytics Tools | Inc.com
View Web Analytics reports (SharePoint Server 2010)
AFS Analytics – Web analytics