What is involved in Product Data Management
Find out what the related areas are that Product Data Management connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Product Data Management thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Product Data Management journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Product Data Management leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Product Data Management related domains to cover and 125 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Product Data Management, Change management, Computer-aided design, Configuration management, End-of-life, Engineering change notice, Engineering change order, Enterprise resource planning, International Standard Book Number, Metadata, New product introduction, Product, Product lifecycle management, Version control:
Product Data Management Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Product Data Management governance and test out new things.
– Identifying what tasks require a particular tool –which tasks associated with the current configuration use a particular tool?
– How to keep the information needed to operate and maintain a product aligned with the changing product over its life cycle?
– What is the format of the information and what form does it need to be stored in?
– Can product data be used as an aid in the creation and maintenance of PLCS data?
– Which system should receive the Change Notification, PMS MIS or PMS CSDB?
– Is there any existing Product Data Management governance structure?
– Property availability is the assigned external property available?
– Version check is the correct property version available?
– Which system should receive the Change Notification?
– Version check are the correct versions available?
– What is the configuration of the information?
– How frequently do we need to access the data?
– What information should we archive?
– How accurate is your product data?
– What is the information context?
– Who will work with PDM systems?
– Who provides PDM software?
– Meet design spec?
– Who is using PDM?
Change management Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Change management quality and forecast involvement of future Change management projects in development.
– Has the team ensured that key cultural barriers (e.g., training and skills required for new jobs, entrenched culture, incompatible support structures, fear of downsizing) are addressed in its Change Management strategy?
– What steps have executives included in the Change Management plan to identify and address customers and stakeholders concerns about the specific process to be reengineered?
– How should projects be phased to allow adequate time for Change Management and organizational acceptance of the selected technologies?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Product Data Management process?
– What are the most important benefits of effective organizational change management?
– Does the service providers Change Management process match the customers needs?
– How effective is your organization with organizational change management?
– What change management practices does your organization employ?
– What are the primary barriers to effective Change Management?
– When is Change Management used on a project at which level?
– What is the latest success strategy in change management?
– What are internal and external Product Data Management relations?
– What is workplace Change Management?
– Why do we need Change Management?
– What is Change Management?
Computer-aided design Critical Criteria:
Value Computer-aided design leadership and shift your focus.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Product Data Management process?
– Does the Product Data Management task fit the clients priorities?
– Who sets the Product Data Management standards?
Configuration management Critical Criteria:
Probe Configuration management tasks and arbitrate Configuration management techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– Can we answer questions like: Was the software process followed and software engineering standards been properly applied?
– Can we answer questions like: Are compliance and audit checks performed on a regular basis?
– Which process is responsible for the correct configuring and transmission of the programs?
– Have the types of documents to be included in your CM Program been determined?
– When: when do you start to place entities under configuration control?
– How is access to the Configuration Management status data controlled?
– When can the building, testing and implementation of a change begin?
– Are periodic effectiveness assessment done on your CM Program?
– What is the difference between a problem and a known error?
– What are valid performance indicators for the service desk?
– Are currently approved revisions of documents being used?
– Can we answer questions like: Who owns a webapp?
– How frequently should cab/ec meetings be held?
– Are all other required reviews complete?
– Who has a particular software version?
– How many reported faults in version t?
– How to make it easier to sell?
– Why a service desk?
End-of-life Critical Criteria:
Systematize End-of-life tactics and work towards be a leading End-of-life expert.
– What is the total cost related to deploying Product Data Management, including any consulting or professional services?
– How is the value delivered by Product Data Management being measured?
– How can skill-level changes improve Product Data Management?
Engineering change notice Critical Criteria:
Understand Engineering change notice management and slay a dragon.
– When a Product Data Management manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– How will you know that the Product Data Management project has been successful?
– Do Product Data Management rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
Engineering change order Critical Criteria:
Differentiate Engineering change order planning and cater for concise Engineering change order education.
– Think about the people you identified for your Product Data Management project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Product Data Management objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– How do we measure improved Product Data Management service perception, and satisfaction?
Enterprise resource planning Critical Criteria:
Huddle over Enterprise resource planning tasks and arbitrate Enterprise resource planning techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– What business benefits will Product Data Management goals deliver if achieved?
– Is Supporting Product Data Management documentation required?
International Standard Book Number Critical Criteria:
Define International Standard Book Number visions and change contexts.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Product Data Management?
– Does our organization need more Product Data Management education?
– What is Effective Product Data Management?
Metadata Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Metadata decisions and secure Metadata creativity.
– In addition to the security of your own customer data, customers should also be concerned about what data the provider collects and how the CSP protects that data. Specifically with regard to your customer data, what metadata does the provider have about your data, how is it secured, and what access do you, the customer, have to that metadata?
– Who will do the classification (IAs, users, both etc.) Deliverables could be: approach for developing classification, controlled vocabularies, thesaurus, taxonomies, classification models including targeted audience descriptions; will there be any use of autocategorization or autosuggesting metadata?
– Are the appropriate metadata standards including those for encoding and transmission of metadata information established?
– Describe the type of data (e.g. digital, non-digital) and how they will be generated? Are these primary or metadata?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Product Data Management objectives?
– Are there hiring and training practices especially for metadata and taxonomy positions?
– What data does the provider collect -e.g., metadata, and how can this data be secured?
– What data do our providers collect -e.g., metadata, and how can this data be secured?
– How can you affect the amount of, quality of, or protection of data and metadata?
– What metadata are needed to make the data you capture or collect meaningful?
– How will metadata be generated (automatically, manually, or both)?
– How to use faceted metadata to expand (as opposed to refine)?
– How will the metadata be associated with the data?
– Metadata; is there a metadata strategy?
– Is the metadata cache size acceptable?
– Which metadata standards will you use?
– What is data, what is metadata?
– Can metadata be loaded?
New product introduction Critical Criteria:
Apply New product introduction results and ask what if.
– For your Product Data Management project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Do we monitor the Product Data Management decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
Product Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Product decisions and gather Product models .
– Do you allow product portfolio renewal to occur without interference by merely adding new products, or should the renewal be governed based on strategic and financial targets over life cycle?
– Which customers should we choose to serve through which channels, with which products, prices, and marketing programs, for which decision and life cycle stages, under which organization structure?
– Spheres of influerce in the consumers life. what people, activities, organizations and media can have the most effect on determining the target audiences receptivity to products?
– Does a new project under discussion improve the balance of projects (or detract from balance), and does the project improve the portfolios strategic alignment?
– Is your firm represented by any third party firm or individual whose purpose is marketing and/or gathering assets for the firm and are compensated as such?
– Will the selection of a particular product limit the future choices of other computer security or operational modifications and improvements?
– What support does the IT Security product provide for laptops/notebooks, personal digital assistants (PDA), and IP-based phones?
– How do supply chain management systems coordinate planning, production, and logistics with suppliers?
– In general, what are the strengths and weaknesses of your firm in strategic agenda setting?
– What are the most effective ways for us to improve the productivity of our sales force?
– Are there ways to get my questions answered inside the product (help features?
– When shipping a product, do you send tracking information to the customer?
– Do you have any proprietary tools or products related to social media?
– Where will responsibility for the new product ideas search be placed?
– Which amazon cloud product recently experienced a massive outage?
– Do you collaborate with customers for product development andor innovation?
– What are ways that employee productivity can be measured?
– What must happen before a product can be developed?
Product lifecycle management Critical Criteria:
Have a round table over Product lifecycle management outcomes and arbitrate Product lifecycle management techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Product Data Management opportunities costing us money?
– What are all of our Product Data Management domains and what do they do?
Version control Critical Criteria:
Match Version control quality and balance specific methods for improving Version control results.
– How can you experiment with a complex change and benefit from the version control system without making the change public?
– Will you be using a standard naming format and version control?
– How do we improve the way that we use version control?
– How can we improve Product Data Management?
– What goes under version control?
– How to Secure Product Data Management?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Product Data Management Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Product Data Management External links:
ECBC Product Data Management System Account Request
Product Data Management | PDM | Epicor
Product Data Management for Diverse Customer Verticals
Change management External links:
DCCA Change Management
CDT Releases Organizational Change Management and …
What is change management? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Computer-aided design External links:
Computer-Aided Design – Journal – Elsevier
Computer-aided Design (1976) – IMDb
Configuration management External links:
Configuration Management | IpX
Interactive Configuration Management and Procurement …
AWS OpsWorks – Configuration Management
End-of-life External links:
Crossroads Hospice: End-of-Life Family Care Services
What Is Comfort Care for End-of-Life Patients?
Engineering change notice External links:
Engineering Change Notice – gsbike.de
[PDF]ENGINEERING CHANGE NOTICE FORM – Ecliptek
Job Information: Engineering Change Notice (ECN) Analyst …
Engineering change order External links:
ENGINEERING CHANGE ORDER | eQuorum Corporation
Jira Engineering Change Order Log Document
Eco Engineering Change Order Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Enterprise resource planning External links:
What is ERP (Enterprise resource planning)? – NetSuite.com
Enterprise Resource Planning System | Hill International
Enterprise Resource Planning
International Standard Book Number External links:
What is an ISBN (International Standard Book Number)?
[PDF]International Standard Book Number: 0-942920-53-8
Metadata External links:
[PDF]GIS Metadata Title: Protection Districts
Title metadata – WiiBrew
3 key tips to adding in your site’s metadata | Yola
New product introduction External links:
What Is New Product Introduction? : Valuestreamguru
HIV New Product Introduction Toolkit
[PDF]Title New product introduction with costly search …
Product External links:
Product return and recycling | HP® Official Site
The Melaleuca Product Store
Rheem Product Warranty Information
Product lifecycle management External links:
Agile Product Lifecycle Management
Bamboo Rose – Product Lifecycle Management Software
CMPROficiency | Product Lifecycle Management Software
Version control External links:
List history on branch | Version Control Systems | …
Git and TFVC version control | Microsoft Docs
VisualSVN – Subversion-based version control for Windows