What is involved in Gap Analysis
Find out what the related areas are that Gap Analysis connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Gap Analysis thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Gap Analysis journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Gap Analysis leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Gap Analysis related domains to cover and 137 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Gap Analysis, Benchmarking, Business, Business process, Capability, Capital, Growth-share matrix, Information technology, Management, Office of Government Commerce, Operations research, Organization, PRINCE2, Production possibilities frontier, Resource allocation:
Gap Analysis Critical Criteria:
Start Gap Analysis quality and clarify ways to gain access to competitive Gap Analysis services.
– Does Gap Analysis analysis show the relationships among important Gap Analysis factors?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Gap Analysis with what users do day-to-day?
– What are internal and external Gap Analysis relations?
Benchmarking Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Benchmarking quality and ask what if.
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Gap Analysis objectives?
– Is Gap Analysis dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– Are assumptions made in Gap Analysis stated explicitly?
Business Critical Criteria:
Own Business management and arbitrate Business techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– Familiarity Matrix: What should be the split of resources to different types of markets and to different technology types in terms of their familiarity to the business?
– Does the software let users work with the existing data infrastructure already in place, freeing your IT team from creating more cubes, universes, and standalone marts?
– What is the value of integrating social intelligence listening and engagement into the CRM your business is using?
– How can I move part of or an entire system to the cloud without disrupting or interrupting my current business?
– How is Business Intelligence affecting marketing decisions during the Digital Revolution?
– What specialized bi knowledge does your business have that can be leveraged?
– What have we done to protect our business from competitive encroachment?
– What are the challenges posed by enterprise applications?
– How well did we monitor our relational expectations?
– What programs do we have to teach data mining?
– Are outcomes in line with business strategy?
– How do you plan to address Customer Service?
– What are typical data-mining applications?
– What is your licensing model and prices?
– What is joint and several liability?
– Do we have sales force automation?
– Do relationships fit our culture?
– What is your annual maintenance?
Business process Critical Criteria:
Look at Business process risks and optimize Business process leadership as a key to advancement.
– Do we identify maximum allowable downtime for critical business functions, acceptable levels of data loss and backlogged transactions, RTOs, RPOs, recovery of the critical path (i.e., business processes or systems that should receive the highest priority), and the costs associated with downtime? Are the approved thresholds appropriate?
– Have senior executives clearly identified and explained concerns regarding Customer Service issues and other change drivers, and emphasized that major improvements are imperative?
– To what extent will this product open up for subsequent add-on products, e.g. business process outsourcing services built on top of a program-as-a-service offering?
– What is the importance of knowing the key performance indicators KPIs for a business process when trying to implement a business intelligence system?
– Has business process Cybersecurity has been included in continuity of operations plans for areas such as customer data, billing, etc.?
– Are interruptions to business activities counteracted and critical business processes protected from the effects of major failures or disasters?
– Do we have detailed information on the business process for refunds and charge backs if they are required?
– If we process purchase orders; what is the desired business process around supporting purchase orders?
– If we accept wire transfers what is the desired business process around supporting wire transfers?
– How do clients contact client services with any questions about business processes?
– Will existing staff require re-training, for example, to learn new business processes?
– Do changes in business processes fall under the scope of change management?
– On what basis would you decide to redesign a business process?
– Are accountability and ownership for Gap Analysis clearly defined?
– How does the solution handle core business processes?
– What is the business process?
Capability Critical Criteria:
Focus on Capability strategies and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Capability decisions.
– When considering our organizational capability to make desired changes, do we ask the following questions: are the staffing level, funding, and physical plant potential assets or deterrents, and to what degree?
– Are items which are not calibrated to their full capability or which require functional check only labeled to indicate the applicable condition?
– How quickly can a cloud service provider scale services and capability and is this quick enough for the requirements of the customer/consumer?
– How quickly can a cloud service provider scale services and capability and is this quick enough for the requirements of the customer/consumer?
– Does the company have a log monitoring capability with analytics and alertingalso known as continuous monitoring?
– Do we have a log monitoring capability with analytics and alertingalso known as continuous monitoring?
– In what ways are Gap Analysis vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– What is a benefit of automated site failover capability in a data center environment?
– Do you have the capability to measure cost per lead or cost per acquisition?
– Does It Fit With Our Culture, Capability And Desires?
– Can the cloud provide us a search capability easily?
– What is the logging capability for audit purposes?
– What capability are we seeking to access?
– Is unnecessary capability harmful?
Capital Critical Criteria:
Scan Capital failures and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Capital.
– The first user resistance to metrics always begins with, But our company hasnt collected any human capital data, so how can we even begin? How do we deal with this resistance?
– Distinguish between permanent working capital and temporary working capital. Why is the difference important to financial managers?
– Among the Gap Analysis product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– Does the contribution of corporate cash holdings and dividends to firm value depend on governance?
– What is the appropriate treatment of recaptured NOWC in terms of computing terminal cash flows?
– What are the primary distinctions between foreign capital investments and domestic investments?
– What are the tax benefits of depreciation and how do they play into cash flow calculations?
– What is the link between a firms business strategy and its capital budgeting process?
– What is the difference between mandatory and discretionary capital investments?
– What is the difference between a current expenditure and a capital investment?
– How can poor capital budgeting decisions produce negative effects to the firm?
– Understand what an NPV profile is, how it is used, and how it is constructed?
– What actions should corporate managers take before implementing a project?
– What is the basic present value equation used in capital budgeting?
– What is the major disadvantage of the net present value method?
– What percentage of the firms capital structure is debt?
– What If Investment Projects Are Not Perpetuities?
– What is operating leverage?
– What are our Human Capital Needs?
– How much does Gap Analysis help?
Growth-share matrix Critical Criteria:
Understand Growth-share matrix risks and devise Growth-share matrix key steps.
– In a project to restructure Gap Analysis outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Gap Analysis processes?
– How do we Lead with Gap Analysis in Mind?
Information technology Critical Criteria:
Analyze Information technology strategies and don’t overlook the obvious.
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Gap Analysis process?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Gap Analysis ?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
Management Critical Criteria:
Disseminate Management governance and get out your magnifying glass.
– Are you aware of anyone attempting (whether successfully or not) to gain unauthorized access to your system or its data?
– How would you describe the impact of cloud vis-a-vis your itsm initiative/capabilities in your organization?
– What data do our providers collect -e.g., metadata, and how can this data be secured?
– How can you manage your key accounts, when they think they are managing you?
– Which system should receive the Change Notification, PMS MIS or PMS CSDB?
– Is senior management in your organization involved in big data-related projects?
– What are the consequences of changing the focus of the program?
– Is it possible to have too much information about a customer?
– What high-level systems methods do we use in risk management?
– Additional systems we should consider in our analysis?
– Are protection processes being continuously improved?
– How well did we share information between us?
– What test mechanisms do we have in place?
– Which rules appear frequently? Which are anomalies?
– How much is the system evolving?
– How do you take control?
Office of Government Commerce Critical Criteria:
Canvass Office of Government Commerce quality and separate what are the business goals Office of Government Commerce is aiming to achieve.
Operations research Critical Criteria:
Frame Operations research outcomes and find out.
– What is the total cost related to deploying Gap Analysis, including any consulting or professional services?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Gap Analysis?
Organization Critical Criteria:
Examine Organization adoptions and be persistent.
– What kind of crime could a potential new hire have committed that would not only not disqualify him/her from being hired by our organization, but would actually indicate that he/she might be a particularly good fit?
– What are the current regulatory and regulatory reporting requirements in the United States (e.g. local, state, national, and other) for organizations relating to Cybersecurity?
– Just what is a project management office, and how can it help you address the unique project management challenges in your organization?
– Does a BI business intelligence CoE center of excellence approach to support and enhancements benefit our organization and save cost?
– What best describes your role in attracting, hiring, promoting and retaining it security personnel within your organization today?
– What is the organizations most effective method of training for information governance knowledge and skills?
– Is there a person at our organization who assesses vulnerabilities, consequences, and threats?
– Is removable media protected and its use restricted according to your organizations policies?
– Is a stand-alone SNF/NF at a disadvantage when it comes to participating in an ACO?
– What are the legal and regulatory barriers to effective ACO implementation?
– How do we demonstrate shared values that direct our service delivery?
– Are software assets aligned with the organizations enterprise architecture?
– Does the service provider understand the organizations mission?
– Are we measuring this to drive improvement, or just to monitor?
– HOW MANY RESOURCES SUPPORT DEVOPS INITIATIVES AT YOUR ORGANIZATION?
– Is this a low priority job (target within three days)?
– What are the governance requirements for ACOs?
– Who will be collecting information?
– Long term sustainability?
PRINCE2 Critical Criteria:
See the value of PRINCE2 decisions and triple focus on important concepts of PRINCE2 relationship management.
– A lot of these decisions are based around selecting the correct level of governance and ceremony. At project initiation there should be questions such as Do we run this as a full-on PRINCE2 project or do we use some of DSDM for this?
– What is the source of the strategies for Gap Analysis strengthening and reform?
– Do we run this as a full-on PRINCE2 project or do we use some of DSDM for this?
– Can we do Gap Analysis without complex (expensive) analysis?
– Agile Project Management and PRINCE2 9 – one or the other, or both?
– Agile Project Management and PRINCE2 – one or the other, or both?
Production possibilities frontier Critical Criteria:
Pilot Production possibilities frontier failures and learn.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Gap Analysis processes?
Resource allocation Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze Resource allocation issues and sort Resource allocation activities.
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Gap Analysis?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Gap Analysis requirements in detail?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Gap Analysis Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Gap Analysis External links:
How to Perform a Technology Gap Analysis for Your …
Army COOL – Gap Analysis Pages
[PDF]GAP ANALYSIS TOOLS – Kentucky Board of Pharmacy …
http://pharmacy.ky.gov/Documents/GAP ANALYSIS TOOLS.pdf
Benchmarking External links:
[PDF]Benchmarking Case Studies – IMT
Business External links:
What is title? definition and meaning – BusinessDictionary.com
Business process External links:
Business Process Management Jobs – CareerBuilder
ProcessPlan – Business Process Manager
[PDF]Business Process Guide Position Management : …
Capability External links:
U.S. Department of Treasury Electronic Capability Statement
KPINTAR – | Enhancing Capability
2018 Jeep Compass – Compact SUV with Off-Road Capability
Capital External links:
Capital One – Free Credit Score & Report Check with …
Information technology External links:
Rebelmail | UNLV Office of Information Technology (OIT)
SOLAR | Division of Information Technology
Box @ IU | University Information Technology Services
Management External links:
Title Management | Firebrand Technologies
Motor Vehicle Title Management – Lien Solutions
Document Management Incorporated :: Motor Vehicle Solutions
Office of Government Commerce External links:
Office of Government Commerce (OGC) – The National …
Operations research External links:
Operations Research on JSTOR
Operations research (Book, 2014) [WorldCat.org]
Operations Research Dual-Title Degree Graduate …
Organization External links:
Our Organization | New York State Land Title Association
PRINCE2 External links:
AXELOS Membership | ITIL | PRINCE2 | MSP
Resource allocation External links:
[PDF]Definition: What is Resource Allocation – Health Sciences
Resource Allocation: An Economic Problem :: essays …
Resource Allocation. (eBook, 2014) [WorldCat.org]