What is involved in New Product Development
Find out what the related areas are that New Product Development connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a New Product Development thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its New Product Development journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward New Product Development leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which New Product Development related domains to cover and 152 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
New Product Development, Association of International Product Marketing & Management, Best practice, Brand management, Choice modelling, Conceptual economy, Consumer good, Customer requirement, Customer value proposition, Design for assembly, Design for manufacturability, Design for six sigma, Detailed design document, Engineering design, Flexible product development, High-level design, Industrial design, Integrated Authority File, Integrated product team, Market opportunity, Market penetration, Market research, Market share, National Diet Library, Phase–gate model, Pro-innovation bias, Process management, Product Development and Management Association, Product design, Product lifecycle, Product management, Product strategy, Quality function deployment, Requirements engineering, Requirements management, Social design, Soft launch, Stevens Institute of Technology, Supply chain, User-centered design, User experience, Verification and validation, Virtual product development, Voice of the customer:
New Product Development Critical Criteria:
Boost New Product Development tasks and oversee New Product Development requirements.
– A dramatic step toward becoming a learning organization is to appoint a chief training officer (CTO) or a chief learning officer (CLO). Many organizations claim to value Human Resources, but how many have a Human Resources representative involved in discussions about research and development commercialization, new product development, the strategic vision of the company, or increasing shareholder value?
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once New Product Development is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– Project type: what percent of resources should go to new product developments?
– Which step in new product development you think is the most important?
– Are assumptions made in New Product Development stated explicitly?
– What are the steps in the new product development process?
– How can new product development be sped up?
– Are there New Product Development problems defined?
Association of International Product Marketing & Management Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Association of International Product Marketing & Management engagements and get the big picture.
– In the case of a New Product Development project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a New Product Development project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any New Product Development project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– What are our best practices for minimizing New Product Development project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the New Product Development project lifecycle?
– What is the source of the strategies for New Product Development strengthening and reform?
Best practice Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Best practice tactics and adopt an insight outlook.
– Achieving service management excellence is an on-going process. Just as an organization can never have enough sales, so they can never stop paying attention to service assurance. With service management and assurance having such a critical role for CSPs, how can they both achieve optimal service assurance delivery and implement supporting processes to ensure that best practice continues to be observed?
– Is the software and application development process based on an industry best practice and is information security included throughout the software development life cycle (sdlc) process?
– What standards, guidelines, best practices, and tools are organizations using to understand, measure, and manage risk at the management, operational, and technical levels?
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if New Product Development does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– What ITIL best practices, security and data protection standards and guidelines are in use by the cloud service provider?
– What are the best practices for software quality assurance when using agile development methodologies?
– What are some best practices for gathering business intelligence about a competitor?
– What are some best practices for implementing an air gap in a our setting?
– What best practices are relevant to your service management initiative?
– Are there any best practices or standards for the use of Big Data solutions?
– What are the a best practices for Agile SCRUM Product Management?
– Which is really software best practice, CMM or agile development?
– What are some best practices for managing business intelligence?
– Are Organizational Change managements best practices (eg Kotter) applied?
– What is a best practice for selecting drives for a thin pool?
– Do we adhere to best practices interface design?
– What best practices are relevant to your ITSM initiative?
Brand management Critical Criteria:
Pay attention to Brand management adoptions and perfect Brand management conflict management.
– How can you negotiate New Product Development successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing New Product Development? There might be some that are less obvious?
– How is the value delivered by New Product Development being measured?
Choice modelling Critical Criteria:
Probe Choice modelling adoptions and revise understanding of Choice modelling architectures.
– How do we go about Comparing New Product Development approaches/solutions?
– How much does New Product Development help?
Conceptual economy Critical Criteria:
Depict Conceptual economy results and assess what counts with Conceptual economy that we are not counting.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your New Product Development project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about New Product Development. How do we gain traction?
– What are the Key enablers to make this New Product Development move?
Consumer good Critical Criteria:
Rank Consumer good governance and cater for concise Consumer good education.
– What business benefits will New Product Development goals deliver if achieved?
– How do we keep improving New Product Development?
– Are there New Product Development Models?
Customer requirement Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Customer requirement risks and explore and align the progress in Customer requirement.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new New Product Development in a volatile global economy?
– Will the product of the project fail to satisfy customer requirements if the change request is not executed?
– Will the product of the project fail to satisfy customer requirements if a change request is not executed?
– Do the New Product Development decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– Does it increase the risk that the organization cannot meet its customer requirements?
– Does New Product Development analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
Customer value proposition Critical Criteria:
Sort Customer value proposition engagements and pay attention to the small things.
– How do your measurements capture actionable New Product Development information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these New Product Development processes?
Design for assembly Critical Criteria:
Value Design for assembly tactics and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Design for assembly projects.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a New Product Development process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the New Product Development process available?
– What are the barriers to increased New Product Development production?
Design for manufacturability Critical Criteria:
Start Design for manufacturability outcomes and explain and analyze the challenges of Design for manufacturability.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect New Product Development workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– Do we monitor the New Product Development decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom New Product Development project?
Design for six sigma Critical Criteria:
Incorporate Design for six sigma projects and revise understanding of Design for six sigma architectures.
– In a project to restructure New Product Development outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving New Product Development forward?
– How important is New Product Development to the user organizations mission?
Detailed design document Critical Criteria:
Infer Detailed design document adoptions and catalog what business benefits will Detailed design document goals deliver if achieved.
– Is maximizing New Product Development protection the same as minimizing New Product Development loss?
– What is the purpose of New Product Development in relation to the mission?
Engineering design Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Engineering design engagements and proactively manage Engineering design risks.
– Is New Product Development dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– Does the New Product Development task fit the clients priorities?
– How can you measure New Product Development in a systematic way?
Flexible product development Critical Criteria:
Value Flexible product development visions and triple focus on important concepts of Flexible product development relationship management.
– How can the value of New Product Development be defined?
High-level design Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate High-level design results and oversee High-level design requirements.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that New Product Development objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
Industrial design Critical Criteria:
Canvass Industrial design quality and forecast involvement of future Industrial design projects in development.
– what is the best design framework for New Product Development organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed New Product Development opportunities costing us money?
– How do we Improve New Product Development service perception, and satisfaction?
Integrated Authority File Critical Criteria:
Design Integrated Authority File governance and triple focus on important concepts of Integrated Authority File relationship management.
– What management system can we use to leverage the New Product Development experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– Which customers cant participate in our New Product Development domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– What are the disruptive New Product Development technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
Integrated product team Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot Integrated product team strategies and observe effective Integrated product team.
– Are there recognized New Product Development problems?
Market opportunity Critical Criteria:
Think carefully about Market opportunity tactics and attract Market opportunity skills.
– When a New Product Development manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– Have all basic functions of New Product Development been defined?
– Why are New Product Development skills important?
Market penetration Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Market penetration strategies and spearhead techniques for implementing Market penetration.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this New Product Development process?
– How can we improve New Product Development?
Market research Critical Criteria:
Reorganize Market research governance and work towards be a leading Market research expert.
– Does the software allow users to bring in data from outside the company on-the-flylike demographics and market research to augment corporate data?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the New Product Development process?
Market share Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Market share adoptions and forecast involvement of future Market share projects in development.
– Are the calculated sales volumes realistic, taking into account the competitive position, realistic market share, importance of customer problem/pain and stage/maturity of customer needs?
– For your New Product Development project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– What drives market share?
National Diet Library Critical Criteria:
Focus on National Diet Library visions and don’t overlook the obvious.
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a New Product Development project?
– How do we Identify specific New Product Development investment and emerging trends?
– What are current New Product Development Paradigms?
Phase–gate model Critical Criteria:
Survey Phase–gate model projects and describe which business rules are needed as Phase–gate model interface.
– How likely is the current New Product Development plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– What is Effective New Product Development?
Pro-innovation bias Critical Criteria:
See the value of Pro-innovation bias planning and differentiate in coordinating Pro-innovation bias.
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of New Product Development moving forward?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as New Product Development leaders?
– Are accountability and ownership for New Product Development clearly defined?
Process management Critical Criteria:
Powwow over Process management visions and tour deciding if Process management progress is made.
– What process management and improvement tools are we using PDSA/PDCA, ISO 9000, Lean, Balanced Scorecard, Six Sigma, something else?
– Does New Product Development analysis show the relationships among important New Product Development factors?
– What are the business goals New Product Development is aiming to achieve?
Product Development and Management Association Critical Criteria:
Graph Product Development and Management Association planning and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Product Development and Management Association projects.
– Do those selected for the New Product Development team have a good general understanding of what New Product Development is all about?
– How would one define New Product Development leadership?
Product design Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Product design strategies and sort Product design activities.
– To what extent has the product architecture and overall product design been developed?
– Is the scope of New Product Development defined?
Product lifecycle Critical Criteria:
Shape Product lifecycle adoptions and check on ways to get started with Product lifecycle.
Product management Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Product management visions and assess and formulate effective operational and Product management strategies.
– A vital question in new product management is: how should the business most effectively invest its research and development (r&d) and new product resources?
– In marketplace businesses what is the optimal relationship between product management Category Management and marketing?
– What is the optimal relationship between Product Management Category Management and Marketing?
Product strategy Critical Criteria:
Coach on Product strategy governance and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Product strategy decisions.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective New Product Development leader?
– How well does the product fit with our product strategy?
Quality function deployment Critical Criteria:
Scan Quality function deployment risks and ask questions.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate New Product Development delivery for example is new software needed?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting New Product Development with what users do day-to-day?
Requirements engineering Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on Requirements engineering decisions and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Requirements engineering projects.
– Do New Product Development rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– Do we all define New Product Development in the same way?
Requirements management Critical Criteria:
Gauge Requirements management quality and finalize specific methods for Requirements management acceptance.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding New Product Development?
– What kind of support for requirements management will be needed?
Social design Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Social design quality and ask questions.
– Among the New Product Development product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
Soft launch Critical Criteria:
Generalize Soft launch tactics and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Soft launch is getting what it needs.
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in New Product Development?
Stevens Institute of Technology Critical Criteria:
Familiarize yourself with Stevens Institute of Technology results and get going.
Supply chain Critical Criteria:
Mine Supply chain issues and arbitrate Supply chain techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– The pharmaceutical industry is also taking advantage of digital progress. It is using IoT for supply chain security in packaging and tracking of drugs. There are new companies using computer chips in pills for tracking adherence to drug regimens and associated biometrics. Using this as an example, how will we use and protect this sensitive data?
– How is the complex digital supply chain -where multiple downstream providers provide services for each other and data residence and transmission points are increasingly obscure -being dealt with from an audit perspective?
– Now that organizations have fine-tuned human performance, supply chain, operations, processes, cycle time, and other targeted areas, how can they continue to improve performance?
– There is a need to determine where value is added in the supply chain what are the expectations of each stakeholder in the supply chain?
– To change the nature of the relationship in the supply chain where should we go and what leverage opportunity could be applied?
– Does Supply Chain Integration Mediate the Relationships between Product/Process Strategy and Service Performance?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your New Product Development activities?
– What are the roles of suppliers and supply chain partners in CRM?
– Do your supply chain relationships tend to be longeror shorter-term?
– What and where are the value changes in the supply chain?
– What is our current position within our supply chain?
– What is TESCM tax efficient supply chain management?
– Who needs to know about New Product Development ?
– In HW, SW & Services we source from a global supply chain?
– What will drive New Product Development change?
User-centered design Critical Criteria:
Probe User-centered design management and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive User-centered design decisions.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to New Product Development?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the New Product Development process?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of New Product Development?
User experience Critical Criteria:
Consider User experience planning and cater for concise User experience education.
– What do you think the world of enterprise software delivery will look like in ten to fifteen years (take into account practices, technology, and user experience)?
– How can I avoid duplication of identity, attributes, and credentials and provide a single sign-on user experience for my users?
– Where does User Experience come from, what does it add to the software development process and what methods are available?
– What is the difference between information architecture and user experience design?
– What are the potential impacts to user experience by using a cloud-based service?
– Agile-User Experience Design: With or Without a Usability Expert in the Team?
– What are the problems when integrating Agile Development and User Experience?
– What is the difference between customer experience and user experience?
– What are the best-practices for creating a good User Experience?
– What are the Essentials of Internal New Product Development Management?
– How will you measure your New Product Development effectiveness?
– What does User Experience do?
– What is User Experience?
Verification and validation Critical Criteria:
Analyze Verification and validation results and look at the big picture.
– Are we Assessing New Product Development and Risk?
Virtual product development Critical Criteria:
Categorize Virtual product development planning and probe Virtual product development strategic alliances.
– How do we know that any New Product Development analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– Have the types of risks that may impact New Product Development been identified and analyzed?
– Is there any existing New Product Development governance structure?
Voice of the customer Critical Criteria:
Shape Voice of the customer management and assess and formulate effective operational and Voice of the customer strategies.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent New Product Development services/products?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the New Product Development Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
New Product Development External links:
New Product Development Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
New Product Development Center
Best practice External links:
[PDF]ALTA BEST PRACTICE POLICIES Our Pledge – Title …
http://www.titlecorockies.com/PDF/Best Practices Pledge 2014m .pdf
ALTA – Best Practices
Best Practices – Independence Title
Brand management External links:
Reeder Brand Management
RepEquity® | Digital Brand Management, Search …
BlueSkyETO – Brand Management Software and …
Consumer good External links:
Retail and Consumer Goods | UPS Solutions
Boytone Electronics and Consumer Goods
ASD Market Week | Consumer Goods & Retail Expo
Customer value proposition External links:
[PDF]The Customer Value Proposition – Colorado State …
Design for assembly External links:
Design for Assembly, Design for Manufacturing
Design For Assembly – massmoca.store
[PDF]Design For Assembly – chinaview.store
Design for manufacturability External links:
[PDF]Design For Manufacturability – Sheet Metal Guidelines
[PDF]Design For Manufacturability – yuanbao.store
Design for Manufacturability (eBook, 2014) [WorldCat.org]
Design for six sigma External links:
Design for Six sigma (Book, 2003) [WorldCat.org]
[PDF]Design For Six Sigma (DFSS)
Detailed design document External links:
Detailed Design Document Format
Detailed Design Document – TheFreeDictionary
[PDF]Your detailed design document must include the …
Engineering design External links:
Engineering Design & Testing – ED&T Engineers
Dannenbaum – Civil Engineering Design | Texas
Industrial design External links:
Industrial Design | Appalachian State University
Home | TXS INDUSTRIAL DESIGN
KEK | Industrial Design + Product Development
Integrated Authority File External links:
MEDLARS indexing: integrated authority file
Integrated product team External links:
Integrated Product Team – GDIT
Integrated product team
http://An Integrated Product Team (IPT) is a multidisciplinary group of people who are collectively responsible for delivering a defined product or process. IPTs are used in complex development programs/projects for review and decision making. The emphasis of the IPT is on involvement of all stakeholders (users, customers, management, developers, contractors) in a collaborative forum.
Market opportunity External links:
What is Market Opportunity? definition and meaning
Market penetration External links:
Ansoff Matrix – Market Penetration Strategy
MADEMAPE – Market Development and Market Penetration
Niche Market Penetration | Avendesora Trading Limited
Market research External links:
Market Overview & Stock Market Research | Scottrade
Online Market Research | AYTM Market Research
Market Research Future: Industry Analysis Report, …
Market share External links:
Market Share Reports in Title Insurance – HDEP …
California Insurance Market Share Reports
http://www.insurance.ca.gov › … › Company and Agent/Broker Information
Title Market Share
National Diet Library External links:
The National Diet Library, Tokyo, Japan, 1949 – loc.gov
National Diet Library | library, Tokyo, Japan | Britannica.com
National Diet Library law. (Book, 1961) [WorldCat.org]
Pro-innovation bias External links:
http://In diffusion of innovation theory, a pro-innovation bias is the belief that an innovation should be adopted by whole society without the need of its alteration. The innovation’s “champion” has such strong bias in favor of the innovation, that he/she may not see its limitations or weaknesses and continues to promote it nonetheless.
Pro-innovation bias – WOW.com
Process management External links:
BP3 | Business Process Management
HEFLO BPM | Business Process Management
Workflow Software, Business Process Management …
Product Development and Management Association External links:
Product Development and Management Association …
Product Development and Management Association …
Product design External links:
Electronic Product Design & Development | TechEn, Inc.
Calgary Product Design & Development Studio | Uppercut
Business Innovation & Product Design Firm | Nottingham Spirk
Product lifecycle External links:
Bamboo Rose – Product Lifecycle Management Software
Omnify Software – Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) …
CMPROficiency | Product Lifecycle Management Software
Product management External links:
The Black Box of Product Management
Leading the Product – A Product Management Conference
ProdPad | Product Management Software
Product strategy External links:
LukeW Ideation + Design | Digital Product Strategy & Design
(7) Product Strategy Flashcards | Quizlet
Chapter 12: Product Strategy Flashcards | Quizlet
Quality function deployment External links:
QFD Online – Quality Function Deployment
what is QFD? (quality function deployment) – IMPACture
Requirements engineering External links:
Requirements Engineering – Springer
[PDF]Requirements Engineering Process – Computer …
Requirements Engineering (eBook, 2002) [WorldCat.org]
Requirements management External links:
Requirements Management Policy – RPM-2 RPM-2
Requirements Management. (eBook, 2016) [WorldCat.org]
iRise – Best prototyping tool + inline requirements management
Social design External links:
Social Design Sydney — designing for social outcomes
InWithForward – a social design organization
DSI / Social Design
Soft launch External links:
The PR Secrets to a Successful Soft Launch – Entrepreneur
» Soft Launch Club
Stevens Institute of Technology External links:
Stevens Institute of Technology
Password Service: Stevens Institute of Technology
Undergraduate Admissions – Stevens Institute of Technology
Supply chain External links:
Supply Chain Advantage
User-centered design External links:
[PDF]Title A user-centered design method for …
User-Centered Design Basics | Usability.gov
User-Centered Design – Pennsylvania State University
User experience External links:
User Experience | UX Design Tools | Optimal Workshop
User Experience Professionals Association
Seattle User Experience Design & Strategy | Fell Swoop
Virtual product development External links:
virtual product development (The Design Society)
Voice of the customer External links:
[PDF]THE VOICE OF THE CUSTOMER. – mit.edu
How To Succeed with a Voice of the Customer (VoC) Program
Print Page – Voice of the Customer – Plusnet Usergroup